Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dec. 14


Dec. 14
Originally uploaded by Cancer Boy
What a dreary fucking day. I can't tell if I'm sleepy because of the weather, or the low red cell count.

Yesterday I decided to venture in the scary outdoors for the first time since Tuesday. SARS mask in tow, Melissa and I went to the Stitch N Kitsch show uptown. I stopped to chat with one of the vendors, who asked about my mask. She said that one of her children, I believe, had a depressed immune system, and was used to the hypervigilant lifestyle. I mentioned I was undergoing chemotherapy, and she pointed out that one of the adjacent sellers had just finished chemotherapy herself. We chatted for a while longer, and I moved on to the next table, and the next, etc.

A few minutes later, one of the sellers -- the one who had recently finished chemotherapy -- came up to me and gave me one of the hand-made pillows she was selling at the show as sort of a "healing aid". I don't know exactly what did it, something between my drug-addled brain and her absolutely surprising display of generosity rendered me rather... stupid... and I am kicking myself like all fire for not getting her contact information, so I could properly thank her. She told me she had just finished her second battle against breast cancer, this time having undergone chemotherapy and surgery. We talked a bit about drug-induced states and the such, and I can only hope I didn't come across as a total space cadet, etc.

All in all, I was very touched and surprised, and am extremely grateful. Also, this pillow, made with vintage Japanese printed cotton, is really awesome.

3 comments:

Tori said...

That story is really touching... and if you came across as a space cadet at all, I'm sure she attributed it to 'chemo brain', which she's probably quite familiar with.

Anonymous said...

:0)

Anonymous said...

She must have seen something in you, kindness. Her kindness, your kindness.